Vídeo de formación portador IRP oficial - Versión en Español. ¿Estás listo para una auditoría? Podemos ayudarle con sus IRP

2015 NJ IRP Changes

DOT Assistance Contact Information

Additional information will be needed to complete all required documentation.  Examples of the additional information may include: Tax ID Number | Company Operations | DOT PIN Number | MC PIN Number | Cargo Classification etc.  

We take your security seriously.  Please do not enter personal information in the comments box. (Credit card numbers, Tax ID, PIN numbers, etc.)

USDOT Services
Do you need a USDOT Number?

NJ USDOT Number Flyer

A USDOT number is required for any company that owns or operates a Commercial Vehicle with a GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of 10,001 lbs or more, transports cargo or a vehicle that transports 9 or more passengers in interstate commerce. A USDOT number is also required for any intrastate carriers hauling hazardous materials that require a safety permit. 

In select states (see green highlighted states or list below), all registrants of commercial motor vehicles, even intrastate, and non-Motor Carrier registrants are required to obtain a USDOT Number is a necessary condition for commercial vehicle registration.

What is an MC Number/Operating Authority and who needs it?

In general, companies that do the following are required to have interstate operating authority (MC number) in addition to a DOT number:

  • Operating as for-hire carriers (for a fee or other compensation
  • Transporting passengers, or arranging for their transport, in interstate commerce
  • Transporting federally regulated commodities or arranging for their transport, in interstate commerce

Operating Authority means the registration required by 49 U.S.C. 13902, 49 CFR part 365, 49 CFR part 368, and 49 CFR 392.9a.

FMCSA operating authority is also referred to as an "MC," "FF," or "MX" number, depending on the type of authority that is granted. Unlike the USDOT Number application process, a company may need to obtain multiple operating authorities to support its planned business operations. Operating Authority dictates the type of operation a company may run and the cargo it may carry.

All of this also dictates the level of insurance/financial responsibilities a company must maintain. Carriers not required to have operating authority include:

  • Private carriers (carriers that transport their own cargo)
  • “For-hire" carriers that exclusively haul exempt commodities (cargo that is not federally regulated)
  • Carriers that operate exclusively within a federally designated "commercial zone" that is exempt from interstate authority rules. A commercial zone is, for example, a geographic territory that includes multiple states bordering on a major metropolitan city, such as Virginia/Maryland/Washington, DC


You will receive your USDOT number by the end of the next business day along with your PIN number.  We will provide you the FMCSA requirements for proper vehicle marking on your vehicles.  


You will receive your US-MC Authority by the end of the next business day along with your PIN number. Once your number has been issued, it can take up to 20 days for the Operating Authority Approval.  Service also includes BOC-3 filing.

Need your MC Authority Reinstated?

Once all fees and required paperwork have been submitted to FMCSA, it can take 32 - 48 hours before Operating Authority has been reinstated.

INTERSTATE Operating Authority Process

We can help you through the entire process, answering all your questions, every step of the way. 

  • Motor Carrier Number (MC #) Application & FMCSA Filing Fee
  • USDOT Number Application
  • BOC-3 Filing
  • Individual consultation on your state registration requirements
  • Compliance and driver qualification files
  • Quick Permit Service
  • Driver's Daily Log (one copy included for each vehicle up to 12. Additional copies can be purchased at a discounted rate)
  • A copy of the FMCSA Regulations Driver - Glove Box Edition (one copy included for each vehicle up to 12. Additional copies can be purchased at a discounted rate.)

* As an add-on, for an additional fee, Tri-State Safety Solutions, LLC can be on-site for the required DOT inspection.

We can file your:

(contact us for pricing and additional details)

IRS Form 2290

You must file Form 2290 and Schedule 1 for the tax period beginning on July 1, 2016, and ending on June 30, 2017, if a taxable highway motor vehicle (defined below) is registered, or required to be registered, in your name under state, District of Columbia, Canadian, or Mexican law at the time of its first use during the period and the vehicle has a taxable gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more. 

Unified Carrier Registration (UCR)

The UCR (Unified Carrier Registration) registers your USDOT number with all the states. It has been required for all interstate carriers and Brokers since 2010 and is one of the most heavily enforced registrations. The UCR expires every Dec 31 and requires yearly renewals. UCR registration fees are based on the number of trucks that operate interstate (outside your home state). Trailers and intrastate trucks are exempt.

*Past-year compliance is being determined through audits and roadside inspections based on MCS-150 data. 

International Fuel Tax Association (IFTA)

Required for all carries hauling for hire across state lines when 1) has two axles and a gross vehicle weight or registered gross vehicle weight exceeding 26,000 pounds or 11,797 kilograms; 2) has three or more axles regardless of weight; 3) used in combination, when the weight of such combination exceeds 26,000 pounds or 11,797 kilograms gross vehicle or registered gross vehicle weight.  Once you receive an IFTA license from your base state you are good to travel in all states, but you will be required to file a quarterly fuel tax report.

International Registration Plan (IRP)

IRP is a method of registering fleets of vehicles that travel in two or more member jurisdictions. Member jurisdictions include all U.S. states, except Alaska and Hawaii; Washington D.C.; and all Canadian provinces, but not including the territories of Northwest Territories, Nunavut and Yukon.

Motor carriers that operate "qualified motor vehicles" across state lines are subject to IRP licensing, reporting and record-keeping requirements unless the vehicle is exempt or a trip permit is obtained as described below.

Motor carriers applying for IRP must register their vehicles in their home or "base" jurisdiction as part of a fleet. A fleet, for IRP purposes, is comprised of one or more vehicles that pay registration fees in multiple states. The base jurisdiction collects the appropriate registration fees and distributes them to the other jurisdictions in which the carrier has requested IRP registration. IRP registration fees are determined by the type of operation requested (private, for-hire, or rental) and by the:

  • Percentage of miles traveled in each member jurisdiction 
  • Registered gross weight of each vehicle 
  • Number of vehicles in the carrier’s fleet

Qualified motor vehicle

  • Registration through IRP is required for vehicles that are used for transporting persons or         property, travel in two or more IRP jurisdictions (including Wisconsin);
  • Have a registered gross vehicle weight or actual weight in excess of 26,000 pounds (property-carrying vehicle); 
  • Are power units with three (3) or more axles regardless of weight, including buses; 
  • Are used in combination and the actual weight of the combination exceeds 26,000 pounds

New York Highway Usage Tax (NY HUT)

Before operating a motor vehicle on the public highways of New York State you must obtain a certificate of registration and decal for each motor vehicle subject to the highway use tax. There are two types of registrations: 1) A HUT certificate of registration is required for any truck, tractor, or another self-propelled vehicle with a gross weight over 18,000 pounds. (If you elect to use the unloaded weight method to file your returns, a certificate is required for any truck with an unloaded weight over 8,000 pounds and any tractor with an unloaded weight over 4,000 pounds.)  2) An automotive fuel carrier (AFC) certificate of registration is required for any truck, trailer, or semi-trailer, or other attached device transporting automotive fuel. (The same gross weight and unloaded weight rules apply.)  You will need to file Quarterly Tax Returns.

New Jersey Business Registration

Every carrier who picks up or delivers in the state of NJ must register their business with the state of NJ.

Kentucky Highway Use License (KYU)

This license is required for vehicles with a combined licensed weight of 60,000 lbs. and above to report mileage tax.  You will need to file Quarterly Tax Returns.

New Mexico Weight Tax ID

New Mexico imposes a weight-distance tax on owners, operators, and registrants of intra and interstate commercial vehicles with a declared gross vehicle weight in excess of 26,000 pounds.  This tax is based on vehicle weight and miles traveled on New Mexico roads. Companies must register and apply each year for a New Mexico.  You will need to file Quarterly Tax Returns.

Arkansas Property Tax Return

Ark. Code Ann. 26-26-1602  requires all Motor Carrier file a Property tax report even if you did not travel into or through Arkansas during the months of Jan 1 to Dec 31.   Deadline to file report March 31st.

Kansas Property Tax Return

Beginning January 1, 2014, HB 2557 eliminates property tax collection on Commercial Motor Vehicles

Oregon Truck Weight Certificate

Companies based in other states and Canada that operate trucks in Oregon need an Oregon Weight Receipt and Tax Identifier for each truck. This a paper credential related to the Oregon weight-mile tax. The companies complete an Application to obtain (1) an Oregon Weight Receipt and Tax Identifier for new trucks, (2) an Amended Weight Receipt for trucks already registered with Oregon, or (3) a Renewed Weight Receipt and Tax Identifier.


Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, New Jersey, New York, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

 1044 Lacey Road | Bldg. B, Suite 8 | Forked River, NJ 08731-1051 

P: 732-551-3833 | F: 732-691-4720

Are you ready for an audit? We can help with your IRP